Wednesday, June 18, 2008

City Slickers!

I have finally attended my first ever equestrian event - a campout and trail ride called City Slickers. It was a blast! I was worried about a lot of things, but only one of my fears came true. No, I didn't fall off the horse. No, I didn't get in any fights. I did, however, get talked into doing karaoke after a margarita or two. And that, my friends, is a true disaster. I'm surprised no one suffered brain damage, or even temporary deafness. But I was part of a group so maybe they couldn't hear me all that well.

Thursday morning I drove over to my friend Andrea's house, parked my car, and unloaded my stuff into her trailer. She drove, let me share her tent, and brought her extra horse for me to ride. Is that a friend, or what? We arrived a bit after Noon and discovered that one of her other friends was holding a strategically great campsite for us, close to the pavilion and restrooms with nice shady trees. What a deal!

After setting up our tent, dining canopy, and a highline for the horses (man it's cool to say that and know what I'm talking about), we actually got to go for a trail ride. Woot! It was uphill and downhill and rocky and included a water crossing, but I made it and so did poor Max, the appaloosa who had to carry my fat butt all weekend. Then we had a great supper cooked for us by the 'neighbors' (Andrea's friend Melissa and her family).

Friday was more trail riding and some socializing, and Saturday I cooked the burgers & dogs for lunch and helped serve dinner. We also had a silent auction in which I won a lovely breast collar, some jewelry, and some extra tack I didn't really need but hey - it was a good price and a good cause! Saturday night after dinner was the karaoke contest, which I was roped into being one of the 3 judges for, and after that came the margaritas and the non-competitive karaoke. My husband's response when I told him about the karaoke was "I'm glad I missed that."

I got sunburned in spite of wearing sunscreen, gained a little time in the saddle and experience, had fun, and 'bonded' more with several of the club members. All in all, it was the most fun I've had in years and I'm already planning on attending more events! Andrea says I'm a great camping buddy and welcome to go with her anytime; and maybe before too much longer one of my horses will be ready to go to something like that. They need more time and training, both of which are in short supply, but I've got to make it more of a priority. 4-leggers are not like 4-wheelers, you can't just park them in the garage and then expect to be able to get them out and ride them whenever you want.

No comments: